addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: We have always been at war with Eurasia... (Microscope)

What We Played: We have always been at war with Eurasia... (Microscope)

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 77
Nov 6
players: Robert, Pat, Ben

Nice game! Robert and Pat, you guys really took to the system right off the bat.

We started with "super powers locked in a cold war", and immediately decided that everything was going to end with nuclear armageddon. Can you smell the Dark? Lots of nice personal scenes:

- The ANZI agents waiting the in boat in the middle of the night in the Sea of Japan for their Eurasian traitor to bring them the nuclear secrets and hypothesizing what his motivations were.

- Poor, poor President Kurtof (the real question of one of the scenes turned out to be who was going to say he got assassinated first, me or Pat). Democracy foiled once again. The flashback to him courting his wife just made the car bomb even better.

- And everyone on the moon trying to cope with the billions dead on the glowing, molten Earth...

Plus a ton more. I'm still wondering whether it was Nakamura or Akiko in the boat -- or both? I suspect something bad happened between the tea house scene and the midnight rendezvous.
Pat
user 8415259
Seattle, WA
Post #: 7
I really enjoyed Microscope! I can easily see how the games can sprawl into multiple sessions. There are so many threads I'm still curious about. Nakamura and Akiko, Santiago, whatever happened in South America, which super nation launched nukes first and what the real deal was with the Pacifist Society and the NY World. Thanks for the game guys!
Robert
user 8558278
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
I very much enjoyed this game, too -- some great moments. Hopefully those poor schmucks on the Moon will get it together, for the sake of the human race!

I liked the flexibility of the system -- being able to zoom in or out, and being able to focus on pretty much anything you could think of. It really provides scope for whatever kind of story you want to make it. I'm not sure about the necessity of the whole light/dark mechanism, though.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 81
I very much enjoyed this game, too -- some great moments. Hopefully those poor schmucks on the Moon will get it together, for the sake of the human race!
Yes, get it together and crush those Eurasian scum! Oh wait, you meant peace didn't you? Never mind.

I liked the flexibility of the system -- being able to zoom in or out, and being able to focus on pretty much anything you could think of. It really provides scope for whatever kind of story you want to make it. I'm not sure about the necessity of the whole light/dark mechanism, though.
Think of Light and Dark as an avenue for communication between the players: it makes us tell each other what we think about what's happening, who we're sympathetic towards, what we think is good or bad in our fictional world. The discussion of why someone picked Light or Dark is the important part.
Jamie F.
user 12636925
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 10
Ben, your blog thinks I'm a spambot.

So what's this "What you see is what you get" method?
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 85
My blog is not easily fooled. I know this may come as a bit of a shock, but you may indeed be a spambot. Seriously though, you can email me through meetup to figure out why you couldn't leave a comment.

I'm working on a longer explanation of the change (what it is and why it's good) on the blog later on. Or you can just play it at a meetup. That what works too.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.