addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Expanding Our Repertoire

Expanding Our Repertoire

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 91
We need more good games to expand our roster of consistent winners. The criteria are:

- no prep
- works as a one shot
- high creative contribution from all players
- playable over and over again
- delivers the fun

If anyone has candidates, including games we don't play that often but could join the mainstay circle, this is the thread for it.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 92
Josh had some great ideas for making Remember Tomorrow a possible winner:

- start with only one character
- one person plays that character until they check a Ready/Willing/Able box, then the character passes to the next player

We'd have to tweak other details like pacing for adding new characters, but the idea would be to keep the game more focused on fewer characters and have everybody working on the same story. I've always thought RT had potential, so I'm stoked to try it.

Josh, did that get the gist?
Jamie F.
user 12636925
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 13
Now that I've played Shock: (which I want to play again & again), next on my list to try would be Archipelago and Primetime Adventures. I know PTA wasn't intended as a one-shot but it's had some pretty awesome AP written up about one-shot episodes...

Is In a Wicked Age considered one of the consistent winners? It's been really good to me - maybe we should experiment with playing it GM-less and/or with generating our own oracles on the fly.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 95
GMless In A Wicked Age is something I've wanted to try. The best IAWA games I've played have been ones where the GM used a fairly light touch and it was more mutual, but it's easy to slip into a traditional "the GM does the work" model (I fall for that myself sometimes when I GM it). The oracles are great as is, and there are a zillion more online if you want different settings. For GMless, I think you could start with just taking turns framing scenes and see how that worked.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 96
(this may rapidly become the "how do we hack games that are mostly there, but not quite" thread, which would be excellent)
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 102
Another game I want to try as a change of pace is Capes. I haven't played it in a while, but I just gave myself a refresher course and I'm ready to break it out at a meetup.

It's a rapid "invent story as you go" kind of game, rather than a "this is our arc" game. It looks crunchy but it really isn't. I won't kid you: the rules as written are insanely opaque, but that shouldn't be a problem if we're explaining how to play at the table (as we always do). Bonus fun: you cut out click-and-lock templates to make characters.
A former member
Post #: 8
I'd like to give Capes a go. I'll bring some chips and pawns this Thursday. I think it really benefits from some pieces.

I'd also second Primetime Adventures as a change of pace. It's explicitly episodic, and the mindset of framing your game as a TV show to get to the awesome is good practice I think.

I think Annalise, with the vampire stuff removed, has a lot of potential.

I have a game called Western City that's sort of Universalis light I've been meaning to try at some point.
Josh
disorder
Seattle, WA
Post #: 6
(this may rapidly become the "how do we hack games that are mostly there, but not quite" thread, which would be excellent)

The Remember Tomorrow hack sort of worked. I think passing the characters around was fine, but after playing it again, we realized that it was really the basic mechanics of the game that make it bad. There's too much emphasis on dice, and there are a million check boxes, none of which ever really grip you as a player. I'd love try capes or cy's game. I'm up for anything new.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 103
I hear you. I could see playing it without using conditions at all, just R/W/A (checking goals and moving those values up and down). Not suggesting it needs another shot, but if we did, that's what I'd try.

EDIT So instead saying "I take his gun, so now I'm Armed (check pcon)," you'd just be more Ready. If someone wanted to hurt you, they might make you less Able instead of making you Injured (ncon), etc.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION