addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Hand Signs?

Hand Signs?

A former member
Post #: 19
In poking around at Archipelago II stuff, I found a suggestion to use ASL hand signs for the key phrases:
http://norwegianstyle...­

So rather than interrupt someone to say "More Detail," you'd make the wishy-washy ASL for "explain" and the other person can more naturally add things.

Anyone want to try it out this week? Maybe incorporate it into some of our other games?

I often find myself in Microscope wanting to gently nudge a scene towards addressing the question, without wanting to interrupt the flow of the scene. "Describe your character's feeling/reaction" is another one that comes up in Microscope that would probably be handy.

I could see a few other hand signs being very useful, without interrupting the flow. (Who knows, maybe thinking about the signs will totally interrupt people's thought patterns anyway.)

Edit: But it may make us more opaque to new players? Or look even more odd. If that's a concern to anyone.

Whaddya think?
Jamie F.
user 12636925
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 28
For "Try a different way" or "Veto" you kind of need to explain your beef, so I'm not sure the hand sign would be useful there, but for "More detail" (and a scissor-motion for "why don't we end the scene there" a la Geiger Counter) would be good.

Speaking of that article, I've used the "I see" minigame before in games of Archipelago that I never finished. I dig it, and am totally willing to use it in other games. In fact, I think it would be a fun ritual phrase - if you interrupt some action to say, "I see such-and-such as this", that's an invitation for everyone to chime in, taking turns describing something.

A former member
Post #: 20
Yeah, some of the key phrases pretty much have to interrupt the flow of play. More Detail, Cut Scene, Address the Question, and one or two more phrases I've now forgotten seem like they'd be handy.

I think some parts of that article should be incorporated into the Archipelago rules. At first, I didn't see much of a connection between LiTToS and Archipelago, except for the phrases. But reading that, Destiny Points -> Questions, Locations -> Fates, and Theme Guide->Ownership fell into place more. Maybe I was just being dense.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION