addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Don't ask why, ask Weillach (Microscope)

What We Played: Don't ask why, ask Weillach (Microscope)

Pat
user 8415259
Seattle, WA
Post #: 24
Players: Eric, Jered and Pat

Our big picture was the rise and eventual dominance of people with super powers. Jered helped shape the tone of the game by banning costumes in the palette, leaning us more towards a Heroes/Watchmen anti-hero story than straight up comic style "supers."

While Eric explicitly added the possibility for multiple origin possibilities for super powers, the only one that came out in play was a mysterious procedure called the Weillach method. We never exactly explained what the method entailed, but we know it involves radiation, it can be replicated DIY-style using a bathtub and can be weaponized into an anti-super bomb, albeit with unexpected results.

As we jumped back towards the appearance of the first supers, we established that they were originally created as part of a secret military bio-enhancement program. As some of the less stable super-soldiers went AWOL and slipped into the population at large, the public slowly became aware of their presence. When the at-home Weillach method becomes widely known, the super population explodes, and the normal humans escalate from McCarthy-esque fear to full-scale military action. The supers apparently win out though, and the tail end of our history depicted the last of the normal humans scrabbling around as guerrilla extremists being hunted by the supers.

We'd all played Microscope before, so we were able to hit the ground running and moved along at a pretty good clip. As always with Microscope, there were plenty of cool loose ends hinted at that I'd like to explore further. Great game, guys!
Jered
user 12062613
Seattle, WA
Post #: 6
Thanks for doing the write-up.

I was afraid that out setting would be unbearably cliche and boring, but I think we managed to steer it into interesting territory and kept it fresh. I think it helped that we had very few scenes where "supers" were actually characters. The only ones I can remember are Psychosis and Feral being confronted by the kid they had turned "super" against his will, and a scene where the "Ares Force" goes on their first mission and save a group of hostages from the "Golden Dojo." All our other scenes were pretty normal, in a lot of senses.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION