addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: A Couple 'a Damn Fine Cops (Polaris)

What We Played: A Couple 'a Damn Fine Cops (Polaris)

Caroline
user 11624621
Olympia, WA
Post #: 16
Who: Ben & Caroline, Patrick & Marc

What: Polaris hack: film noir/cops/1920's/metropolis

When: Thursday, May 12

The city, dark and rainy, rots from within. Crooked cops sit in the pockets of rich gangsters and politicians, the rich are getting richer and poor are getting ever more destitute. But all hope was not lost, as the Greystone Police Force worked under the guidance of their unfailing leader, the new DA Rick Cagney, to rid the force and the city of corruption.

John Fitzman was a damn fine cop. His efforts to smooth things over when an employee is caught lining his coffers (albeit to save his dying wife and provide for his hungry children) are only the beginning of his decline into corruption. Fitzman tries his damnedest to protect the city he has sworn to defend, but by rooting out corruption within the force, he has unwittingly put himself in greater danger than he can handle. After his apartment and office are bombed and a string of ensuing court battles, Fitzman leaves the force, his name tarnished, to become an alcoholic PI, a shadow of his former self. (Heart: Patrick, Mistaken: Marc)

Owen Ritter was known as the man who got things done, the one who could resist any temptation to corruption. He walked a damn straight line--well, almost. His partner, the lovely Maggie, was his greatest diversion from his life of honesty and character. Working tirelessly, Ritter rooted out corruption in the force and worked to prevent the mayor elect (who was caught stuffing ballots on the eve of the election) from taking office, all the while destroying his marriage. When Maggie reveals her pregnancy, Ritter immediately vows to leave his trusting wife and remarry. Unfortunately for the lovely couple, Maggie miscarries. Still--although the tides of corruption work against him, Ritter continues to work tirelessly--fulfilling the promise of law and order in a dying city. (Heart: Ben, Mistaken: Caroline)

Commentary!
Ritter's story got a bit out of hand. Although it started out wonderfully, Ben and I (mostly me) got caught up in the mayor's story and things became less about Ritter. We also failed to bring his zeal down very low (we ended at a 2), and so it was hard to make him less straight-edge.

I had my doubts about a modernish, non-fantastic Polaris, but it worked out really well! Thanks to Ben for hosting, and congrats to Patrick for completing his first story game! :)
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 170
Although it started out wonderfully, Ben and I (mostly me) got caught up in the mayor's story and things became less about Ritter. We also failed to bring his zeal down very low (we ended at a 2), and so it was hard to make him less straight-edge.
Caroline, you're dead-on. I think our mistake was making too many statements that had something happen, but didn't include Ritter being an actor. For example: "Mayor gets caught doing something illegal" not as good as "Ritter catches the Mayor doing something illegal." I'm putting Ritter as an observer on the sidelines, which isn't interesting.

Likewise we could have put the bad stuff more in Ritter's lap. Instead of "but only if the Judge throws out the charges" something like "but only if Ritter lies / fakes evidence to bust the (guilty) Councilman." Or instead of "the DA gets killed," "Ritter fails to stop the DA from getting killed." World statements are cool, but in hindsight I think we needed more personal statements to keep Ritter the protagonist.

We also hinted at corrupt cops being near Ritter, but we never had that "but only if your partner takes a bribe" moment. I think a lot of this would have swung back into the zone if we had more time. Going for the "your mistress or your wife" was a good move, I just had no conflict with it -- if it had sprung up earlier and had time to rear its ugly head later it might have had more traction, but in the middle of the Mayor-fight it was second fiddle.

But yeah, once again, a perfect genre fit for Polaris. Are we 4 for 4 now?
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.