addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Unisex Thought-Nations & Tweet Wars (Microscope)

What We Played: Unisex Thought-Nations & Tweet Wars (Microscope)

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 194
players: Natalie, Andrew, Ben

Microscope with new blood (Andrew had never played Microscope, Natalie had never role-played at all). Do we start off with an easy history idea? Hell no, we jump in the deep water! Ubiquitous mind-reading destroys polite society. All society really. Civilization rebuilds itself along entirely new lines, resulting in balkanized Thought-Nations of people who think alike.

That would be an entire history right there. But we up the ante even more and make the division of the sexes obsolete. Yep, by halfway through the history all humanity is one sex. For icing on the cake, early on in the development of telepathy, social media gets biologically integrated into people leading to corporate warfare over twitter. Oh, and actual war? Banned from the Palette. The closest we come are the Tweet Wars.

That's a _lot_ of material for one game session, not to mention the challenge of role-playing scenes in which all the characters can freely read each other's minds, so all subtext is out in the open.

On paper, trying to do all that at once could be a disaster, but instead the game rocked.

Natalie and Andrew: nicely done.
A former member
Post #: 19
Ben, this is an admirable summary of a storyline that I'm not really sure I could have summarized. :-) You left out the reason for the mass extinction of one half of the humanlike race but since I'm sensing you may have a reason for this, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Great, great game!! I'm really looking forward to playing this again.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 195
Oh no, no self-censorship here! There's probably lots I didn't cover (because we covered a lot of ground) so jump in.

I actually tweeted about "death by blue balls!" right after the game, because it was such a lovely cautionary tale.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION