addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Those pesky humans (Microscope)

What We Played: Those pesky humans (Microscope)

Shuo
user 13294625
Seattle, WA
Post #: 48
Who: Adrienne, Angeline, Fred, and Shuo
The Big Picture: A fantastical world collides with the human world.

All was well in the world of the Fivee Kingdoms until strange pink fleshy things called "hu-mans" started popping up all around the land. They didn't seem to be magic users and most were little more than garden pests. The government soon rounded all of them up into human shelters to study them. Once the government's naturalists deemed them to be harmless, the humans soon became the pets of the rich.

As will happen, the pets revolted with the help of sympathizers. Calling themselves Julieites after Julius, the first human to discover a defense against the dreaded sleeping spells, the rebels headed to the portals leading back to the human world and waited for their chance for revenge. Deciding to invade the Fivee world with the human world, the Julieites stretched all of the portals between the two worlds so wide that the fabric of reality of the two worlds ripped away. Catastrophic damage of the terrain ensued. Eventually, the humans took over the Fivee Kingdoms and outlawed magic throughout the land. Of course, to keep might makes right, the Julieite humans continued to practice magic to control the people.

My favorite scene was when two renegade naturalists (a father and son) had kidnapped two humans for their own studies.

Son: They have horns on their hands
Human 1: Oh these? They're nails. They're made of calcium.
Son: Cal-see-um? Cal... Cows? They're made of cows?
Father: No, it's cow serum.
Son: Oh, of course! It makes so much sense now.

Feel free to add in your reviews. Thanks for the fun game!
Adrienne
user 13146674
Belmont, CA
Post #: 8
Thanks for the write-up, Shuo! This was a lot of fun and I think our story is really groovy.

We didn't get into any situations where pushing took place, so I'm still curious to see how that works. I guess some of our scenes ended up being almost totally under the control of a single character. If the question is 'How does Mr Dude feel about what he did?" then whoever is playing Mr Dude can just say whatever he thinks and that's it. Ways to avoid this? Restrict Mr Dude's presence? Hope that his player remains silent until the other characters have had their chance to try and influence his opinion? Never ask such a one-sided question? These scenes were still fun to play, but I think it's harder to have meaningful interactions in them.

I also really enjoyed the cow scene. It's cool that we did a lot to describe the personalities of the Fivees without ever really explaining their appearance. (At one point I think Shuo suggested that they had more than two eyes, but that was it.) But now I'm left wondering about all the parts of the history we didn't fill in. Ah well. On to the next!
angeline
user 10559813
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5
I loved the two renegade naturalists! I wish they had their own documentary series on hu-mans. I'd totally watch that!
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.