addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Spear of Destiny? Oh *that* Spear of Destiny!

What We Played: Spear of Destiny? Oh *that* Spear of Destiny! (Remember Tomorrow)

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 245
players: Jonathan, Bryan, Ben

We decided to ring in the holidays with some Remember Tomorrow (using our lite/l33t house rules, naturally).

Rolling randomly for identity & motivation I got Dealer / Envy and came up with Harlan Kindle, an "art dealer" specializing in ancient antiquities that really should be in museums. Want to own a rare Sumerian cuneiform tablet? Need the golden death-mask of the child Pharaoh to round out your personal collection? Kindle is your man, for the right price. He's envious because despite dealing in the rarified circles of the super-rich, he's more of an errand boy to them, not an equal. He'd like to be in the ultra upper class, but right now he's got other problems, because (story goal) he has to prove to his clients that it wasn't him that ripped them off before they kill him in some extremely unpleasant way.

Did Kindle arrange to have the Spear of Destiny (google it) "acquired" from the Vatican archives in order to sell it to Santeria-inflamed Colombian drug lords, the rightly feared Esposito Cartel? Well, yes. Did the package instead get sneaked out from under him by ultra-wealthy blue-blood elitists, favored sons of Ivy League fraternities and secret societies (aka "the Jet Set") who wanted it for their own personal collection? Well, yes again.

That's how we got the ball rolling (Kindle, hopelessly out of his depth, just trying to keep people from shooting him, or tasering him, or tying him up to a chair. Again.). Before long we had:

- Dr. Joseph Carpenter (tech / respect) Jonathan's defrocked doctor trying to claw his way out of the gutter and back to dignified society. But are there things he won't do, even to please the ultra-rich Jet Setters who could turn his life around with a phone call? Yes, which means they still make a phone call, but to destroy what's remains of his life instead…

- Farrokh (torpedo / freedom) a Faction who was just too cool to stay an NPC, so Bryan brought him in as a character. He suave and subdued Moroccan hit man, called in by the Cartel to whack Kindle, but was persuaded that his employers would be even happier to get the Spear back instead.

My only regret is that we didn't bring in the Vatican as a faction. A climactic shoot-out between the Cartel and the Swiss Guards, with Our Heroes caught in the crossfire, would have been genius.

Bryan & Jonathan: this was your first time with Remember Tomorrow, so what did you think?

Jonathan
user 10808030
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
Whoops, I totally missed this thread! I had a good time with RT - it took a little while for me to reel in my notions of how to wrangle the different actions each turn, but towards the mid-point of the session when a few more factions were in play it became a little more intuitive. The collaborative use of the factions was particularly fun after a while, especially the US Customs Department's shenanigans. The rules didn't really feel 'lite' - instead, there was just about enough complexity to enable improvisation.

I think I enjoyed most the developments which were a surprise to me: Dr. Carpenter's difficult moral choices and eventual sad fate, Farrokh turning out to be surprisingly reasonable for what I had initially envisaged as a stone-cold killer. It was a shame that Bryan/Farrokh didn't get the chance to follow through his story goal. Harlan's louche globe-trotting while ostensibly a fugitive was also highly entertaining. I struggled a little with making faction face-offs which didn't involve violence, but perhaps that's habits from other games making themselves known. All in all, I'd definitely give it another spin.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION