addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › There is no tomorrow (Shock)

There is no tomorrow (Shock)

Terry F.
user 27520232
Seattle, WA
Post #: 8
Players: Shuo, Feiya, Terry

Issues: Welfare, cloning, destructive fear.
Praxis: Indulgence/Abstinance & Community/Self
Shock: A devastating plague has left humanity infertile. But we've developed two key pieces of technology that allow us to go on. We can clone ourselves, and we can transfer our minds from one clone to another.

In this future every one is taken care of by the government, everyone has their job they have been doing for centuries. To escape the bleakness and boredom of a world that is unchanging, people plug into the Oasis a virtual reality world provided by the government to assuage our pains.

Protagonists:

Rebecca Rogers - played by Feiya
Issue: Cloning
Goal: Overthrow this government because my little sister's clone is defective and they refuse to replace it.
Features/Links: Rebecca works in the garment industry making the fashionable unitards we all like to wear. Rebecca has been taking car

Her antagonist was April Rogers her only remaining relative that represents the status quo.

Judith Dixon - Executive Director of Oasis Programming - Shuo
Issue: Welfare
Goal: To be the Minister of Programming
Features/Links: Judith is the picture of self indulgence.

Her antagonist was the current minister of programming. A clever, manipulative prat with an eye on higher goals.

Rev. Jackson - a charismatic t.v personality - Terry
Issue: Destructive Fear
Goal: To destroy the Oasis, we are no longer participating in the real world, it's destroying our society.
Features/Links: He has a wide audience and is quite charismatic

His antagonist are the Liberals, that see nothing wrong with the Oasis, as a matter of fact live almost entirely in it.

Rough Start
As happens with Shock we had a hard time finding our groove. Finally we started and ended up doing three scenes each.

My favorite character was Dixon. Her goals were so normal in a weird world that it made it more interesting.

Dixon is the program director of a local Oasis center. She struggled to meet her goals of government sanction happiness quotas. To make her numbers look good, she juiced the experiences of her citizen clients. Juicing the experiences was good for the numbers but had unintended side effects of costing more and perhaps it also harmed people.
She tries to insinuate herself into her boss's good graces by showing great numbers, but he has her number too, he knows that she's gunning for his job. What she thought was going to be a private meeting turned into a public one where she had to explain her self to her peers. This somewhat backfired on both of them. During the meeting to better meet her quotas she manages to get a superstar Oasis technician transferred from one of her rivals. Unknown to her he's a plant meant to spy on her activities.
Rumors have grown that the Oasis is potentially dangerous. The people are rioting incited by a charismatic t.v personality. Dixon always with an eye on opportunities, goes to the committee tasked to find a solution to the current crisis with a proposal. The proposal radically realigns the use of the Oasis centers. She is acclaimed for her brilliance and becomes the new Minister of Programming. As a bitter twist though, her old boss manages to ride her success to a higher office.

The Rev and Rebecca
The other stories are more into the minutiae of the Shock and thus not as interesting to a wider audience. They both had the goal to up end the status quo, and both failed as illustrated by Dixon's story.
Shuo
user 13294625
Seattle, WA
Post #: 59
Thanks for the write-up Terry!

I really liked The Rev and Rebecca's stories. They were a nice contrast to Dixon's heartless rise to the top. I thought Reverend Jackson's televangelist persona was delightfully manipulative. Not even his loss of sponsors or the revoking of his television channel could stop his sheeple mob from tearing down the Oasis centers in their vicinity.

I also enjoyed the noble acts of Rebecca, rallying against the government in every way she could to save her sister. From bribing an Oasis attendant in order to stream My Little Ponies into her sister's entertainment room to stealing the machinery and bodies for a back alley cloning, Rebecca was the most selfless of all the protagonists and it made for great drama.

Thanks for the fun game everyone!
Feiya
Feiya
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
I'm glad I got to work in My Little Ponies into our game.
Caroline
user 11624621
Olympia, WA
Post #: 24
I'm glad I got to work in My Little Ponies into our game.

If you look hard enough, Feiya, that magic is *everywhere.*
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION