addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › Kneel Before Utu! (In A Wicked Age / Archipelago mashup)

Kneel Before Utu! (In A Wicked Age / Archipelago mashup)

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 273
players: Jamie, Pat, Trey, Jonathan, Shuo, Terry, Ben

Jamie had an idea to do a mashup of In A Wicked Age setup (oracles, best interests) and Archipelago ensemble play. We also had a secondary agenda to play something loose so that when the party started downstairs we could break early to drink and look at squid art. So we really didn't get to give this a full go. And we originally planned on doing setup together and then splitting into two groups, but once characters were made everyone was so tightly interlocked (as they should be) that we said "what the heck!" and played with seven people.

That said, I think the setup brewed a pretty excellent, unstable, this-is-going-to-end-in-disaster situation, exactly as it should. Yay, In A Wicked Age.

- I also loved that when Shuo jumped in as the very last player, instead of picking some minor side character so as not to disturb the relationship map (which is what a lot of people would do) she jumped right in the middle with the "I'm the maiden's mother, brokering her daughter's virginity to the most manly man (or devil)." Given that about half the other characters were fixated on Jamie's maiden's virginity, it was an excellent bomb-throwing choice.

- Trey's magician scrying the Mom & Maiden's frank discussion and deciding to put Mom at the top of his "to be sacrificed to the Devils of the Wastes" list.

- Pat (my herald) and Jonathan (my champion) being all manly strapping lead donuts on each other.

- Terry, my fellow Devil of the Waste: "You see a guy in white. No wait! You see a white horse. Do you ride the white horse?"

I'm confident that if we had continued to play, Utu, General of the Horde and Devil of the Waste, would have brought many hoomans to tears before his inevitable fiery destruction. And there would have been incest. Trust me. Incest was on my to-do list.
Jamie F.
user 12636925
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 89
>And there would have been incest. Trust me. Incest was on my to-do list.

lol.

Ben was downstairs when Jonathan initiated our first conflict, attempting to strike Trey's character down and Archipelago (and Pat, the interpreter) delivered a "No and..." Pat narrated a scout witnessing Jonathan's character's hubris ... that was going to go somewhere interesting, I think.

My next move was to going to be sacrificing a prostitute to attempt to bind Terry's devil into servitude to me - I'm wondering if Terry would have said, 'Try a different way' or let me off with just a 'Not so easy.'

I'm dying to try it again with a reasonable-sized group and reasonable-sized timeframe.
Terry F.
user 27520232
Seattle, WA
Post #: 12
I wish we had continued playing. Jaime thinks he could have bound my Devil but he would have to go through her own master first!

The large group worked well! Our Large ensemble cast was headed for an epic conflict!

I highly doubt Utu would have dined on the hoomans! I would have become their dark lord and master! Utu you squander the riches the riches before you, I know how to invest!

Let's definitely try again!
Jonathan
user 10808030
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
I'd definitely like to give this another spin - despite my total ignorance of both systems from what I could tell they were an effective blending, and IAWA's setting is definitely to my tastes (although perhaps I could have been more adventurous with my character choice!)
Shuo
user 13294625
Seattle, WA
Post #: 64
I'd like to try again as well. Like I told Pat and Ben, I only wish my character could have meddled more.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION