addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › 2012.04.12: The Night of the Headhunter (Shooting the Moon)

2012.04.12: The Night of the Headhunter (Shooting the Moon)

Erik H.
user 30994922
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
I seem to be dragging my feet on getting this up, so I'll post the intro stuff and let others flush it out.

Set up
The Players
Suitor 1:
“Sparrow” (Sev) – 16 years old, insightful (but unable to focus), pathologically secretive (but blogs anonymously), unreliable (but very demanding of others)
Person: Rori
Place: the Library
Thing: mother's stolen ring
Conflict: longs for a normal life
Traits acquired during play: juggler, secrets have been revealed, desperate to confide, a poor replacement as an apprentice, escaped

Suitor 2:
“Brook” (Erik) – 17 years old, tactful (but honest), babbler (but very informative), unconditionally faithful (but passive-aggressive)
Person: supervisor at work
Place: the arcade
Thing: the One Tie
Conflict: deeply cowardly
Traits acquired during play: rash, sexually conflicted, repressed anger, sin eater, betrayed, bagged

Sparrow and Brook are the self-given, secret ceremonial names of two teenagers, both fledgling telepaths. Unknown to the wider modern world in which they live of cars and the internet and global commerce, there exists an almost unknown affiliation of powerful telepaths. Both of these boys have begun to manifest remarkable abilities and through their various but separate researches have found their way to the door of Frost, one such telepath and their potential mentor. Each has the goal of becoming Frost's one successor.

The Beloved:
“Frost” (Ben) – independent, enigmatic, imperious, tells people the truth about themselves, patient, seized by prophetic visions
Opportunity: the accidental death of Frost's previous successor, “Attis”.
Obstacle: the Brainwashers are on her trail
Dream: to transcend Human Mentality, thus leaving behind any need for a successor at all.
Traits acquired during play: maternal, deceptive, afraid of her prophetic blindspot, doubt, not omnipotent, lost control

Frost is the ceremonial name of a powerful telepath, whose previous run ins with the mundane but far reaching and well-equipped human secret society of telepath hunters known as the Brainwashers left her former successor Attis dead as he sacrificed himself for her. She has begun to foster the abilities of both Sparrow and Brook simultaneously, though prior to play neither had met nor was aware of one another's presence. Frost is powerful and authoritative and is repeatedly mistaken for a man.
sev (.
sevoo
Seattle, WA
Post #: 34
I liked how the entangled character creation fleshed out the world as a side-effect of making characters.

I thought it was interesting how some of the Traits we accumulated were character growth or at least fallout from things that happened to the characters, but some of them felt more like uncovering things the characters had been about all along. It kept Frost from going two-dimensional even though she was untouchable and inscrutable. (and not a teenager. and Ben was playing her more like an Antagonist than one of three Protagonists, which probably helps make the Beloved's story not take over, but I think I would have liked to see more of a growth arc for her.)

I liked that we definitely established that there was a moral grey area around our telepathic powers, but never actually nailed down any right or wrong.

I was worried that surfacing the Brainwashers in scene #2 was going too fast, but since we only had two rounds I'm really glad I did it that way. (also, the next day I was shopping & went past a company with a vaguely omega-shaped logo, and a chill ran down my spine. Those Brainwashers were fun & scary.)

I love that we created creepy, weird characters and I still cared a lot about what happened to them.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 282
Sparrow: "Yay! We did it, Frost!"
Frost: "Good work Attis!"
Oops. Awkward.

I had a criminally good time playing Frost.

We didn't play that many scenes (two each I think), but we packed in a lot of delta. We also jumped straight to the really critical scenes, as story gamers should.

I loved starting off both suitors with a "you know what, I don't think you're worthy to be my suitor after all" scene. Insecure teens are best teens! And the first "beloved" scene with Sparrow and Brook finding out about each other and meeting for the first time and being required to "get along" -- so good.

Frost is powerful and authoritative and is repeatedly mistaken for a man.

Clarification: that's assumed to be a man, by people who have never met her and assume that the mysterious rogue icon must be a dude.

Also because no one's mentioned it, I have to drop in the creepy bit about did Sparrow/didn't Sparrow mind control his first love. Sparrow wasn't sure, and it was a great running thread of self doubt (Frost: "telepathy isn't just about controlling other people's minds… first you have to control your own"). Which of course made Sparrow quite literally throwing Rori (his new crush) to the wolves to save himself wonderfully terrible. Sparrow didn't want to do it! Frost was just more important!
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION