addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Playtest Your Story Game FAQ

Playtest Your Story Game FAQ

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 323
And the first event is up…
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 344
We're going with the third Tuesday of each month. Easier to remember and it doesn't wander around the calendar like going every four weeks does.
A former member
Post #: 1
I have a game I'd like to playtest but am not sure whether it qualifies under this group's definition of story games (not sure what that is), so I'd like an opinion on whether it's OK to bring. It's called Hollows & Hobgoblins :-) and the rules are inspired by Daniel Bayn's Wushu, Risus, and FATE with a fantasy setting. The current version does have the traditional "one GM and players" structure though; I'm planning to write a separate GMless version in the future, but not for some months.

Best Wishes, Manu
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 353
Hey Manu, thanks for asking. Here's a pretty technical definition: Defining Story Games.

In a story game, a player’s ability to affect what happens in the game is not dependent on their character’s fictional ability to do those things.

Because we want everyone at the table to have creative input we also avoid games where one player is bringing a scenario they prepared (the classic example would be a GM showing up with a pre-made adventure).
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Ben thanks for the reply! While strictly speaking H&H meets those criteria, I think the zombie game I'm working on is a better fit, so I'll wait until I have that one in playtestable form.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.