addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › 1001 Nights

1001 Nights

Jamie F.
user 12636925
Bellevue, WA
Post #: 108
Played this with Xander, Bridget, Kody, and Greg.

Great time, fairly gonzo fun. (I started reading 1001 nights just now and it's pretty gonzo, too. A lot of sex and slaying, right out of the gate.)

It sounded to me from the rules that you couldn't interrupt your story until after you had 8 gems - but Meguey says you can. So that would have made things go a bit smoother and less gonzo, I think. We still had fun. I also think it probably really wants just four players - we were often stretching to find something for that extra player to do.

It has the layered you're pretending-to-be-someone-else-telling-a-­story thing of Munchausen, but then everyone else acts in the story, a bit like playing a scene in Microscope. Unlike playing a scene in Microscope, the storyteller of that scene gets to be GM and has vast authority and can use it to pursue their agenda in the metagame. Also, unlike Munchausen, the metagame is a story in itself, where you try to pursue your agenda and/or win your freedom without being executed by the sultan.

I'd like to give it another try.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION