addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › Colorado Falls (MonsterHearts)

Colorado Falls (MonsterHearts)

Terry F.
user 27520232
Seattle, WA
Post #: 21

Players: Terry (MC), Martin (Annie), Morgan (Jacqueline), Joe (Aurora), Jerome (Olivia)

In a small town near Denver a cabal that watches over its citizens. On the outside it looks like a typical well to do town with a military base, a ski resort and easy transport to Denver. The town is obsessed with order, there are camera every where, but who watches no one is sure. They are also obsessed with the moral character of their citizens - especially the teen-aged women of the town.

In our game we focused on four monsters: Annie, new to the town, daughter of a military officer recently transfered to C.F, Jacquline scion of one of the town's most important citizen, Aurora the lone occupant of a manse near the lovely Snow Country Golf Club and finally dark Olivia a ghost that is lingering after her tragic murder by her mother.

The high school they go to "The Latin School", an elite co-ed school where the boys and the girls are segregated into different parts of the same building. It seems like boys get a better education than the girls. The girls are trained to be "lady like". Our group are seniors, embarking on their last year before either escaping the town, or becoming more deeply emeshed into its mystery.

The locals are used to the town being over watchful and consider it normal. But Annie, new to town notices it, and as she tries to ingraciate herself into Jacquline's clique she also discovers that the town has a dark secret.

I'm not going to go into the details of the game, since as you know this isn't about confronting a menace, but about how to survive the most arduous times of one's lives. Let us just say that even though Annie is about to discover who the watchers are, the requirements of having to find her place in the social strata took precedence over revealing mysteries.

I'm starting to really like MonsterHearts. At first I dismissed it as a way to play Buffy power fantasies - it turns out the game is intensely psychological and character driven. The mechanics work well to drive the relationships towards spectacular collisions, there is almost no need for a menace, the characters are each other's enemies.

Also we interrupted our game with a meta game where we play crows that observe & comment on the characters that are in the game. The meta game (which I forget the exact name) - helped us to discover more about our little monsters.

This is the third game I've played of MonsterHearts and I'm still enjoying it a lot. It helps that the other players can fearlessly dive into characters that aren't that easy to play.

As it is with this game it could have gone on. There was an up coming ski trip, where for some reason some kid always manages to die.
Morgan
Mathalus
Olympia, WA
Post #: 25
I had a greatt time being the terrible Queen. Terry did a good job as the MC, asking. Tough questions and keeping the pacing fast with short scenes. Thanks for letting me in at the last minute.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.