addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › 21 or Older

21 or Older

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 365
I'll repeat this one more time: we have all-ages meetups on Saturday and Tuesday (eastside). You all know this.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 366
Alternatively have any of you taken steps to contact Raygun and tell them you want an all-ages liquor license, or is that being ignored too?
A former member
Post #: 8
There is another side of this: the other space. To me it wasn't conducive to play at all. yeah we had a table but we were also in the middle of everything with people gawking at us, wholly unfamiliar with what we're doing, awkwardly looming, and interrupting at points. At least at the RGL, interruptors have some familiarity with the norms of our hobbies.

Raygun lounge is great because it's a space where our activities are normalized. I for one feel much more comfortable playing there than anywhere that isn't my apartment. Play at the cafe would be rough to enjoy, especially with the mounted pressure of being separated from the group and the far more friendly environment.

There are other options for the 21- crowd. Tuesdays, saturdays, start a new one, whatever. We're a friendly lot, and there are plenty of options that wouldn't put a large stress on the established Thursday tradition. I am all for venue based exclusion in this case since there are alternatives.
sev (.
sevoo
Seattle, WA
Post #: 44
So ... some of you are expressing a preference for making more than 50% of the things on the calendar (and 100% of the capitol hill events) exclude people under 21, rather than spread the pain around a little?

Just to be clear: all of the unpleasantness of the 21-and-over policy is on the shoulders of those who are being excluded, and the only thing those over-21 have to suffer is the lack of their company? We're going to call it "unfortunate" but we're going to shoot down any compromise solution that makes things a little less-great for the rest of the group?

Seriously? That's embarrassing.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 370
Just to be clear: all of the unpleasantness of the 21-and-over policy is on the shoulders of those who are being excluded, and the only thing those over-21 have to suffer is the lack of their company?
No. I think it would suck to be the lonely and unsure person sitting in the cafe, knowing you weren't part of the real group.

If you look back over all the things that have made this group work over the last three years it's that we welcome people and encourage them to participate because we genuinely value their contribution. I refuse to invite people and knowingly treat them badly. I simply will not do it.

You can disagree that that's right or wrong, but ignoring my explanation and claiming I'm doing it just because it's more convenient for me is insulting.

If there is some constructive suggestion that created a good experience for everybody, I'm listening.
A former member
Post #: 6
Just to provide another option, if there were enough people in the area interested, Card Kingdom's space in Ballard is very nice (and allows 21-) and we could try another day like Wednesday or Sunday. Anyone interested in trying one time as an experiment?
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION