addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › Whores and Sandwiches (Witness the Murder of Your Father and Be Ashamed, You

Whores and Sandwiches (Witness the Murder of Your Father and Be Ashamed, Young Prince)

Evan
user 59017402
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Players: Evan, Ben, Dani, Sam

Four brothers gathered in the throne room of their father the king, lately deceased, apparently foully murdered by being stabbed in the back with a kitchen knife. With only an hour to settle the matter of succession, the brothers quickly discovered that they had kept many secrets from each other (or tried to), and that the stabbing may have been merely a cover-up to hide the more salacious details of his demise. In the final dispute, Erkki, the king's youngest son, gained the support of Rinne the eldest, and they cast Rauli the Popular out of the kingdom, depriving him of the decadent lifestyle of dallying with whores and eating sandwiches. (It came out in play that Erkki, young and inexperienced, wasn't quite sure what exactly a whore was, and assumed it had something to do with Rauli's much-loved sandwiches.)

Post-game, the players agreed that WtMoYFaBAYP desperately needs a cheat-sheet covering the ritual phrases that set up the various stages of the game and, more importantly, summarizing how the stones used in the game are passed around to support and challenge your brothers. Something to look into before running this again.
Sam Kabo A.
user 30231972
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 38
This was a lot of fun. I was sceptical about the hour limit, but it definitely encourages you to push the envelope - and to avoid stalling until you come up with the perfect scheme, which is never good. There was a strong feel of InSpectres about a lot of it: make up the truth, and you'd better be audacious about it because the clock's counting down.

Except, unlike InSpectres, you don't necessarily come up with an Authorised True Version: I'm not sure how much this was because we weren't quite sure about how much authority a disagreement confers, or how authoritative an unchallenged statement is. I kind of like the ultimate lack of certainty about What Really Happened, but some things were definitely established, and in the rush it wasn't always easy to keep track of those. (Bug or feature?)

The stone economy is really tight: we only had three white stones, one of which spent the whole game hidden in Ben's pocket, and I constantly felt that I didn't have enough of the damn things (on account of making myself a disagreement magnet). I'd be interested to see how a game would go with lots of white and relatively few black stones - less YOU LIE FOULLY, more detective-work and weaseling?
Dani L.
user 87036972
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
All in all, a really fun time! I agree with Sam about the hour time limit, it adds a nice element of pressure.

Not really keeping track of what was definitely established doesn't have to be a bug but depending on the players involved... I didn't think it was for our group. :)

I like the element of the stone economy, it forces you to think carefully about how you're going to spend them. Hindsight, eh? The element of randomness to the stone selection was nice too, I'd be curious to see how different combinations would work out.

A cheat-sheet would be nice. It wouldn't be difficult to create. I'd be willing to do a mockup if that was desired.

This is a really enjoyable experience, I would definitely play again. Now that I have a better idea of how things work...

- Dani, aka Unto the Boldest aka The Ravensworn
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION