addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Play Outside › Microscope at Kubla Con

Microscope at Kubla Con

Jasmine J.
JasmineFox
Seattle, WA
Post #: 10
I just got back from an awesome weekend at Kubla Con in Burlingame, CA. It is a super fun con, a great size, friendly and awesome people, great staff, really well-organized -- we've enjoyed going the last 5 years or so and even though we moved to Seattle, we had to make it back!

The one thing Kubla is missing is a variety of storygames. There was one Fiasco, a Don't Rest Your Head (which I didn't get to play, unfortunately), and then I ran Microscope -- not nearly enough for a four day con! I've never facilitated a game outside of the safe walls of our little group so I was kinda nervous, but it was very successful, I'm glad to say. I had one guy drop in so it ended up being a five person game, which actually ended up alright. Everyone at one point had a turn at being a less-important background person and it wasn't a big deal.

For the most part it went really well, but I was a little worried at the beginning. One of the players really wanted to map out the history and had some very strong ideas about the direction -- he got frustrated at first when I told him to hold onto his ideas and wait until his turn (rather than trying to sway someone else). BUT I think that once we had gone around and he saw how cool it is to be inspired by your fellow players, he mellowed and enjoyed the ride. It was great to watch the light bulb go off -- "Ahh, I can trust that my fellow players will come up with cool ideas AND play off mine without me having to say anything!" That was a really neat moment, especially since I was worried that he would bulldoze over other less-assertive personalities.

Only one person (besides me, obviously) had played Microscope before. She kept saying that she had "done it wrong" -- when I asked what she meant, she was kind of vague, but she told me that the Bigger Pictures she played were Downton Abbey and Italian Renaissance. I'm guessing that maybe her games didn't start broad enough? I think that after our game, she walked away with some better approaches to the game. Two players had never heard of Microscope before and the fourth had bought the book but hadn't had the chance to try it out. I think by the end everyone was pretty satisfied with the experience!

So Microscope for the win! I definitely want to facilitate another game next year at the con and maybe bring a new one, too.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 405
It was great to watch the light bulb go off -- "Ahh, I can trust that my fellow players will come up with cool ideas AND play off mine without me having to say anything!" That was a really neat moment, especially since I was worried that he would bulldoze over other less-assertive personalities.
I'm so happy right now.

Rock on, Jasmine.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.