addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › A Monstrous Mistake (ArcH)

A Monstrous Mistake (ArcH)

Jerome
user 8261819
Seattle, WA
Post #: 18
This was a playtest of my game, ArcH. Joining me were Brian, Evan, Jim, and Sam.

The basic idea of the game is that everyone advocates for their chosen aspects by turning them into characters, settings and plot points. Our aspects were Monsters (Evan), Hunting (Jerome), Gluttony (Brian), Sloth (Jim), and Cities (Sam).

The basic plot was that there were pockets of civilization built inside the fossilized remains of giant monsters. The diminutive ancestors of those same monsters still roamed the wilderness, necessitating hunters to track them for safety and food. Work was limited by custom to 4 hour stretches, and hedonistic cults gorged themselves on the flesh of fallen monsters.

The gameplay was a little scattershot, due in no small part to my design. Each player had 3 characters and 4 aspects to work with, which was way too much for a one-off. There were 10 NPCs, which made the world feel fleshed-out, but we didn't have enough time to explore each NPC's subplot in any real depth. By the time we really started pushing to reach our characters' story goals, it was too late in the game, and the climax felt rushed.

All in all, the worldbuilding portion of the game went well, though the plot generation portion was a little scattered. Thanks to all the players for giving the game an honest effort! I appreciate all your input, and look forward to incorporating your feedback in future iterations.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION