addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Who owns story game IP?

Who owns story game IP?

A former member
Post #: 4
I am still kind of loving the setting we developed for a Kingdom game a few weeks ago and was thinking of writing something set in that universe but didn't want to end up in a legal briar patch. Maybe it's the legalist in me but now I'm curious who owns the rights to the fiction? Is it the collective property of the players?

I know that in the vast vast majority of cases the ownership question doesn't matter (and I'm a crap writer so I know this one would be no different) but I was curious how the question falls out.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 461
You signed the release surrendering all your creations to Story Games Seattle, INC when you joined, right?

Seriously though, I have no idea. I know of authors who have written books or stories inspired by games, who just say "inspired by X" in the credits. Telling the people you gamed with and seeing if they freak out would be a pretty obvious step too. I suspect most people would be pretty excited to see a game they played in inspire fiction.

(Is it the Drift? I'm guessing the Drift.)
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION