addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › All of the High School Drama (Fiasco)

All of the High School Drama (Fiasco)

A former member
Post #: 2
The players:
Sam, Natalie, and Brenna

The Characters:
Anabel Glick(Natalie): a band geek and angry nerd who finds herself ill-prepared for pregnancy due to her school’s pathetic reproductive science program. Anabel is pregnant with Cal’s child and at the end of the story finds out that the two share the same father.

Cal Thurgood:(Sam) one of the school’s token “weird kids” who suffers the misfortune of impregnating his lady friend after their first encounter. He is best friends with Sophie and a bit of a pushover. He is actually the most intelligent of the three but lacks confidence.

Sophie Nash:(Brenna) band geek, angry nerd, the school’s other token “weird kid”, supportive friend, and overly confident “practitioner of magic”.

Major Plot Points:
• The attempted seduction of the science teacher, Ms. Mcgarnical, who continuously tried to push her “scientific agenda” on Cal and Sophie while simultaneously denying the existence of magic. Both students were going to have to retake the course over the summer and wanted to get the teacher fired.

• Cal and Anabel deciding to go through with the pregnancy even after they find out that they are half siblings.

• Cal and Anabel trying to ruin Tifanny’s life by pinning a bomb threat on her. Tiffany was the popular student who got both drunk and then put them in a closet together which ultimately led to bad decisions.

• Sophie falling for Ms. McGarnical after discovering that the two have a lot in common and sharing the perfect first kiss while wearing a head to toe dragon costume. (Ms. McGarnical had a dragon fetish)

Happy and Not So Happy Endings:
Anabel: went through with having the child which suffered some health problems due to the incestuous nature of its parents’ relationship, she later joined a band reinventing herself as a rock goddess and ran away with her long-haired band mate leaving Cal with their child.

Cal: struggled for some time doing hard labor in order to care for his infant child he was later able to return to school on a grant and become a successful professional

Sophie: became a tarot card reader, tried to further explore her sexuality at a renaissance fair with no luck, and attended her high school reunion only to discover that no one remembered her

The Fiasco Experience:
This was my first time playing Fiasco and I had a lot of fun. I got the impression that Fiasco is akin to Cards Against Humanity in that it is very dependent on player chemistry; players with a similar sense of humor will probably have a good time. I liked how Sam described Fiasco as a game that you play when you just want to be silly and have a good time.

As far as the mechanics of the game go I felt that there was just enough setup at the beginning to keep the story organized while still leaving plenty of room for character development and misadventure. I also enjoyed the dice roll for final outcome, it was fun watching my character go from the most fulfilling last scene to the most terrible of endings.
Sam Kabo A.
user 30231972
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 66
Bomb threats! Cellphone sex tapes! Accidental incest! Woefully inadequate sex ed! This was a highly entertaining session. Thanks, all!

Cards Against Humanity is a pretty good Fiasco analogue in a lot of respects. The main difference is that it's possible to have a successful, interesting Fiasco session without going into Laughing At Terrible Things territory, whereas if you do that in CAH then your game has totally failed.

The curse of three-player Fiasco was somewhat in effect - we had two Revenge Needs on the table, and there just weren't enough scenes to bring all the threads in those plotlines to some kind of conclusion. We also had a substantial dose of the PC Solidarity Effect going on - our characters all kind of fit into the same social category and mostly worked together, however ineptly.

(Also, dang, this was totally Monsterhearts Minus Monsters.)
Sam Kabo A.
user 30231972
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 67
Also, I don't think there was any point at which Cal and Anabel actually decided to go through with the pregnancy. We were just too panicky and crap at communication to ever really address the subject.
Natalie
user 12605913
Seattle, WA
Post #: 5
Thanks for the writeup! This was a lot of fun. I could see where a Fiasco game with four players might lead to more scheming and character head-butting, but I still enjoyed the high school misfits scheming together and failing miserably. The whole thing felt like John Hughes by way of John Waters.

The 'scientific agenda' against magic is still making me grin like an idiot.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION