addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Play Outside › Crisis of Faith (Dreams Askew)

Crisis of Faith (Dreams Askew)

Dani L.
user 87036972
Seattle, WA
Post #: 71
So I had the pleasure to try this game with some gamers I know outside this meet-up, using a virtual table-top and Skype to communicate.

The story dealt with the Psychic Maelstrom heightening emotions and provoking strong reactions within the conclave. The Torch and The Iris had rather different views of this situation, especially after some spooky visions about the (potential?) future where the Psychic Maelstrom drove the enclave to tear itself apart. The Arrival was rather caught between the two as they sought her support. In the meantime, the Tiger focused on, ahem, getting closer to the Maestro and dealing with fallout from a recent incursion into the Society Intact while the Maestro sought to keep the peace in his establishment. The climax of the game occurred when The Iris and Tiger confronted The Torch while the Maestro and Arrival wisely avoided getting involved. The Psychic Maelstrom was (temporarily) exorcised thanks to The Iris, which didn't sit well with The Torch... The game ended with The Tiger and his gang getting The Iris to safety and The Torch putting himself through his own trial...

That's a brief glimpse into the story we told. None of us had ever played this before, though we all had experience with Apocalypse World and/or its hacks. It was a really fun time! (Just as a note, the queerness of the queer enclave was understated in our game, more there in the background.) Some of the Situations didn't see much play-- as the Psychic Maelstrom, I took a very proactive role. (I was at an advantage with a dearth of experience in GMless games.)

That all being said, I rather liked the system. Weak Moves are an amazing concept, giving a mechanical benefit for players choosing to make their character vulnerable in one way or another. There is NO dice rolling in this game, which does set it apart from AW and its hacks. There are some neat things suggested for how to play Situations, which clearly relate to one or more of the character types which are heavily inspired by AW playbooks. Including some of the source material might have been helpful. (In The Iris's case especially, it would be helpful to include the moves from the playbook that inspired it- The Brainer.) I could see resolving PvP issues being a bit difficult, though I think we handled the confrontation with The Iris and Torch with aplomb. Their players seemed satisfied with how things went. I only wish we'd been able to tie The Arrival and The Maestro in a bit better and given them some things to really sink their teeth into. Everyone had fun though. It was a really solid group of players. The system definitely has some really interesting concepts! Looking forward to playing it again.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION