addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Play Outside › The Candy Religion (Microscope) (Story games in exile)

The Candy Religion (Microscope) (Story games in exile)

A former member
Post #: 18
With anarchists taking over the hill, a couple people who lived a bit farther north got together kind of on the spur of the moment anyways and played some Microscope.

We decided to do a story about a religion and our bookends were "the mass production and distribution of THE PUBLICATION" (light) and "one true believer" (also light). The pallet added some awesome stuff like – but by no means limited to – Candyland, commodified miracles, cannibalism and banned cults, night, candy procreation and the sense of taste.

Even with candy people being almost exclusively the agents throughout the story, we had lots of darkness including trying to unmake the world, race wars, genocide, murder, using body parts to make miracles. Oh and some gingerbread people who were secretly meat people. It seems like the lighter the setting is, the higher the likelihood that everything will get super dark.

This was super fun, and there was something I really liked about what seems like this really cutesy setting where everything is kind of terrible. We started a little bit on the late side and am sad we couldn't see more about several things including Xylotil stealing the breath of the gods and Moosh killing the gingerbread man Struggle, eating his body and performing the first miracle (causing a spun sugar cathedral to rise around the wellspring of god blood/chocolate/red dye 7 if I recall correctly). We all seemed to be fading a little at the end and perhaps me more than most so sorry if I was the limiting actor in terms of playing another round.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 497
sorry if I was the limiting actor in terms of playing another round.
Have you ever tried a multi-session Microscope game? You can return to Candyland whenever you want, which might make you happy or might give you nightmares, depending.

Kudos for not letting anarchy stop you from gaming!

(FYI I moved the thread to Play Outside)
A former member
Post #: 19
Yes! We played three(-ish) sessions in a world with blood magic, dragons and no written language or tech past the bronze age. Then a couple of D&D sessions there as well. It was awesome but, as with all multi-session play, getting the same people together can be hard.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION