addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › Suburban Catnip Tails (Cat Fiasco)

Suburban Catnip Tails (Cat Fiasco)

Drew
user 33643632
Seattle, WA
Post #: 26
So apparently there is a Fiasco playset called "you are a cat" where you are a cat. I was a little worried how it would work because while cats certainly have the lack impulse control necessary for a good Fiasco game, the ability to get an actually interesting story out of cats seemed a little risky. But we still played and it actually went really well.

Plot specifics aren't too important. Was more just interested in sharing an observation I had after playing. One thing that I noticed that I think might've played a big role in helping it work was that we didn't get too consumed in the catness. The general story arc felt like the kind you'd see in a typical fiasco game: Gated suburban community (where we happened to be the cats instead of people), we attempt a drug heist (catnip of course) that fails. Fallout occurs. Everyone being cats (or a chihuahua that thought he was a cat) added a layer of humor to the story and obviously colored some of the interactions between the characters, and the characters still did very cat like (or dog like) things, but it was still interesting looking back realizing we didn't need to be cats to tell that story. Not sure if it was just due to our setup (didn't have many really cat-specific pairings) or human-played-cats winding up having a human-like story or what, but I think it worked so can't complain.

(Also on a side note, I wounded up rolling 21 White at the end. Needless to say my cat had a very happy ending)
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 552
One thing that I noticed that I think might've played a big role in helping it work was that we didn't get too consumed in the catness.
This is actually a good guideline for role-playing characters that aren't within your normal experience. Trying to play an exiled Russian peasant grandmother? Start just playing her like a normal person. Zulu exchange student? Samurai embracing Christianity? Same thing.

There's a natural urge to over do it and showcase the exotic aspects of your character, do funny voices, etc. but that can easily become a caricature.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION