addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Roleplaying Warm-up?

Roleplaying Warm-up?

Chris W.
user 72303552
Seattle, WA
Post #: 4
Are there any good warm-up or filler-style games that are good for getting people into a roleplaying frame of mind that anyone has tried?

I found this list of games that actors use, and of course most of them aren't directly applicable to a roleplaying environment. Three that I was considering were Alien Tiger Cow, Card Status, and Death in a Minute, doing the latter two where the players describe their action rather than play it. But of course, I'd rather go with something tried and tested, if there are already 5-10 minute short games in this genre.

Off topic, but I had wanted to ask this question on the story-games.com forum, since I'm asking for a meetup that I run with a different group. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your account approved there?
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 592
There are a range of "role-playing poems" that are tiny games often used for this purpose:

https://norwegianstyl...­

From the improv side, I think Shimon might be a good person to ask. How do we summon people on these boards..?
Mathius
user 72021822
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1

I was summoned to several other places but I have found my way to this board.

Regarding warm ups:

A Social Warm Up is usually they way that a group of people begin. Introducing themselves if they don't all know each other, or if they do then checking in and catching up in various ways about how they have been since they last saw each other (what's their week been like, their weekend, their day etc.) There are additional ways to support this type of warming up. You didn't ask about it but I thought I would mention it.

A Physical Warm Up can be helpful. Shaking out where they have been and what they have been doing so that their bosy is relaxed and comfortable can help people to loosen up, and be ready to play. Most people who play table top don't necessarily do this type of warm up. As groups usually remain seated I would recommend you think about a physical warm up that focuses on the face - people hold a lot of tension in the face so stretches can really help the face to loosen up, for people to drop some tension out of their body and relax, and prepare them to contribute. A vocal warm up would compliment this; tongue twisters are simple, people will often enjoy a few rounds of them and would help to warm up the voice of each of the participants.

You asked about games that could be used to warm up a group. A simple game such as Word at a Time Story can help a group story together while letting go and working on being spontaneous. The focus of this type of exercise is for it to be a Spontaneity Warm Up. You could compliment it with a Narrative Warm Up such as The Story Spine:

Once upon a time there was ___.
Every day, ___.
One day ___.
Because of that, ___.
Because of that, ___.
Until finally ___.

So there are a few thoughts of my initial thoughts on warm ups.

S.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION