addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › A Story of Snakes, Bears, and Cogs. (Downfall)

A Story of Snakes, Bears, and Cogs. (Downfall)

Eric
EricVulgaris
Seattle, WA
Post #: 6
Last night, three of us told the story of a land where the industrial revolution was in full-swing. Our fantastic eastern European country Allevastia is the land where everything was punctual, ordered, and prepared, but it was not to last.

This great nation where its citizens could be proud to call home unraveled through the eyes of an inquisitive school teacher. In an effort to save her students, she couldn't let go of a thread of mystery and political schemes that led her into the heart of the scary political undercurrents of her country. It played like something between a Russian literature novel and 1984. It was super cool and I was so thankful for having this game facilitated.

Mechanically downfall is a game that really knows what it is about. It's very much building a society and then lighting it on fire. The rules kind of melt away (pun intended) because it constantly felt like what we were doing was exactly what the rules intended us to do! The rules are clearly spelled out and precise which is also a huge plus.

The actual playing of scenes was great once we got our bearings. That's true for most story games I've played so far. Overall the pace of the story was slow, provoking, and then ramped up at the end with the big reveal of the source of our country's woes. I loved it. So Downfall was a tremendous amount of fun and looking forward to playing it again.

If you want more depth about the game, check out the full play through of Downfall last night on my blog.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION