addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › Who are the REAL monsters? (The Deep Forest)

Who are the REAL monsters? (The Deep Forest)

Dani L.
user 87036972
Seattle, WA
Post #: 120
The Players- Shimon, Caspian, Miria, and... I am terribly sorry I forgot the other names :/

We played The Deep Forest, which is essentially a hack of The Quiet Year but you are playing monsters who are escaping from the humans! There are some differences here- the rules imply that you could play one monster through the course of events but we decided to stick with different groups of monsters. The actions you can take are a bit different too- instead of Scarcities and Abundances, you have Adoptions and Taboos, rather than Discover Something New, there is Uncover Something Old, and instead of Hold a Discussion, there is Agree on Something as well as a completely different Oracle! I should have read more clearly but I feel that overall it went smoothly.

We had cannibal witches, mutant pigeons, nixies, illythids (sp?), night elves, and brownies. We set up camp in a ghost town that had been abandoned by the humans. Major themes were attempts NOT to be too human- which lead to much suspicion of the witches!- and us just wanting to maintain a place for ourselves in a world ever more crowded and full of technology. Also hunger. (Actually one of our taboos, along with clothing.) In the end, the humans caused the different groups of monsters to scatter again.

It was a good time around the table for sure. The different groups definitely felt very distinct and sometimes their very natures meant that they couldn't help coming into conflict or causing problems for each other. :D (Like the witches getting humans to come and build a wall that would have served a barrier if it hadn't been for the nixies who took advantage of the opportunity to hunt or the pigeons whose love of shiny things caused them to destroy the festive decorations the brownies put up all over when we Adopted Christmas.) It still felt a lot like The Quiet Year but had a very distinct flavor and I think did an even better job in our case of showing the diversity in the community and the differing goals of different factions. Now that I have a better grasp of how the new Actions work, I would definitely play/facilitate this again! And I think doing different groups of monsters was totally the way to go rather than playing one individual monster.

Thanks to my fellow players for the laughter and creativity and energy you all brought!

- Dani, aka the brownies

Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.