addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › A few good gamers...

A few good gamers...

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm fresh out of college and I miss my RPG days. Thats where you come in, hopefully. I'm interested in finding a gaming group. I like to play, but I prefer to run a game. Generally I don't use any particular system. I've played a lot of systems, studied a lot more, and I've got a general set of simple mechanics, liberally stolen from a half-dozen odd games, that I like to use. Needless to say this means that things tend to be pretty rules-light when I run a game. I prefer role-play to roll-play and I need a story and a character to make the experience worthwhile. I thrive on the fact that the game isn't in my perfect control (as a player or as a GM) and that the expectations of narrative do not strictly determine events. I like flashing swords, high adventure, and rich worlds, walks on the beach, and rum. I cannot host but I will bring a good game and a bag of Chetoes.

Below are some games I'd LIKE to run. These are by no means the only games I'm willing to run, but these would be the most fun for me. Anyway if anyone out there reading this cares to drop me a line my e-mail is: jackhalfaprayer@gmail.com

Thanks for reading

Dylan Green

Science Fiction: Planetary Romance.

Drawing heavily from the John Carter novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs this game would cast the players as earthlings who find themselves on another world. Such a world might be packed to the gills with lost civilizations, strange and wondrous cultures, and exciting adventures. Bereft of everything they know and cast into a brutal and alien environment players would have to rely and their wits, strength, and adventurous spirit. This game could fall on any spectrum between quite silly, and deadly serious; It would most likely end up somewhere in-between. The pulp-serial nature of the source material should shine through in every adventure, but I would like to bend some of the rules of the genre and break a few others. While the setting is alien and wondrous, the “science-fiction” nature of the game could exist anywhere along a spectrum of “medium-hard” to outright fantastical. Players should be prepared to charge headlong into danger, engage in thrilling sword-clashing duels aboard sky-ships, and rescue captured alien loved ones from the hands of dastardly villains. I have successfully run games of this type in the past, but usually as one shots or a series of 2-3 adventures.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

Horror: Call of Cthulhu

I have, very successfully, run CoC in the past. Though that game was in a 1930's vein I would be interested in experimenting with other time periods (present, dark ages, etc) for my next game. I very strongly believe the CoC requires a lot of subtlety and work on the part of everyone. Writing a CoC adventure can take weeks. Playing in one requires a lot of suspension of disbelief. While this game is a CoC game players should not expect to encounter any monsters or entities in the stories or books. I *ahem* “borrow” from a wide variety of sources, but you will never be up against The Hounds of Trindalos or Deep Ones. I strongly feel that horror is about the unknown, so I will strive to offer you something new.

Fantasy: The Legend of Zelda.

I've loved Zelda since I was a kid. I know the mythology quite well and I love the setting. Zelda is pretty low on magic; what magic that does exist tends to be rare and very powerful. This places the games in a sort of light-hearted swords-and-sorcery vein. I imagine the game as a romantic and slightly cartoony version of the Conan stories. Drawing heavily from Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess players would find themselves facing a corruption of Hyrule form and alien outside force. Such a game would be the hardest to run because of the nature of the subject matter. Zelda is, generally speaking, about spacial puzzles and exploration of a pre-determined world. Both of these things are really hard to do in a table top environment. Still some clever mechanics and some (quite elaborate) encounter tables (with a hell of a lot more than just monsters and fights! I promise!) could make this a lot of fun. I have never run this game, but always wanted to.

http://studiojfish.li...­

And something a little different: Your Kung-fu is weak!

I love kung-fu movies. I love them with a passion that burns as bright as a thousand suns. I love old Shaw Bros. stuff. I love old and new Jackie Chan. I love Tony Jaa. I love Street Fighter. I love Samurai Shodown. I would love to run a game about martial arts. I have, very briefly, tried my hand at Exalted. I enjoyed it quite a lot, but it didn't quite offer what I wanted. I would love to do a game in the spirit of Kurosawa samurai flicks or martial arts action movies. Such a game would, obviously, focus more on action than on plot and would require lots of witty one-liners and declaration of “you killed my master!” I think this would be fun, but it would require the right group.
Alan B.
user 2288603
Federal Way, WA
Post #: 10
Planetary romance has always intrigued me. What game system would you use? I'm a strong believe that system makes the game experience.
A former member
Post #: 4
My husband and I are new to the area. We have tried both Savage Worlds and Hollow Earth Expedition for rules light pulp-style games. We are quite interested in hearing more about what type of games you are really wanting to run and play. We really want to find a group of gamers who aren't afraid to venture away from high crunch games.
Mike Kimmel M.
mrkmarshall
Seattle, WA
Your idea for a "Zelda" game sounds really awesome, but maybe it's just my love for the games talking! I'm a huge fan.

I'm also interested in finding a group to game with and try out new games. I may even be making my own post soon.
A former member
Sorry I left this languishing for so long! I never expected it to go anywhere after it sat cold for a week or two. If any of you are still interested perhaps we might arrange something. I'm located right next to the Beacon Hill Light rail station, so public transit is quite easy.

Do you have any thoughts on prefered game?
What is your general location (so we can figure out where to meet)?

I'll be watching this space so write soon.
Mike Kimmel M.
mrkmarshall
Seattle, WA
Post #: 9
I still think a Zelda game would be pretty awesome, and space romance / space opera is always neat. I am not sure I have enough free time these days to swing another regular game, but we should definitely chat at the next meetup on 2/20 if you're going to be there.
A former member
Post #: 8
I'd love to run a Zelda game. I'm on a dungeon building kick right now so I've got plenty of ideas rolling around. Trying to recreate a Zelda dungeon on the table top has always been a bit of a hobby of mine. Yeah lets talk on the 20'th. I don't have time in my life for anything super regular but twice a month would be fantastic.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, recently moved to West Seattle. I'll toss you an email too, to see where you're at & what games you're focusing on (sounds like Zelda).

The settings / styles that speak to me are "Earthlings on Mars", but I don't know what era of human the characters would be (Victorian? Pulp? Today?). I like playing humans transplanted to a new setting and bringing with them the values and experiences of a different culture and planet to a weird and probably dangerous new world. (I still watch Flash Gordon every few years or so)

Also, I don't burn with passion for kung-fu as much as you do, but Jackie's an awesome star and I can really get into a hong-kong setting. I started working on a game system after remembering how cool of an idea HKAT! was (Hong Kong Action Theatre). Let's chat...

Charon
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION