addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Oil, Oil, Everywhere (Shock)

What We Played: Oil, Oil, Everywhere (Shock)

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 28
Oil, Oil, Everywhere (May 29)
Shock
players: Robert, David, Ben, with Jason as audience

After picking some pretty telling issues (energy/oil addiction, birth defects, personal identity), we pretty much ripped our game from the headlines: a colonized world where the high-tech / fusion / whatever energy systems didn't work, so the settlers of Horizon resorted to good old dirty petrochemicals, mining the vast coal reserves and tapping the abundant oil seas.

My favorite bit was probably when David was narrating Robert's scientist's fall from corporate grace: he's trying to leave his quarters, and his key card won't open the door. Yep, sure signs you're in an authoritarian society: you need a key to leave your quarters.

The audience baulked at having the fires revolutionary miner Mattock (David) start in the deep mines to blackmail The Man burn out of control and pollute the entire dome, evicting everyone out of the one city on the planet, but Robert's and my endings tied together to decentralize and free society anyway, even if I never did figure out that my wife was a cheating schemer.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION