addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: Hypno-Assassins Roam The Streets But We Want Out

What We Played: Hypno-Assassins Roam The Streets But We Want Out

Josh
disorder
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
We started the game with three PCs and three factions. For PCs we had a courier who was desperate to make his last job worth it and ship himself off to Southeast Asia for some Mai Thais, a back room dealer who just wanted to see his sister's kidnappers pay, and a CEO who needed to destroy the evidence of his wife's murder.

For factions we had the Russia Mafia, the FBI, and White Hawk Paramilitary.

As for new characters and factions, the CEO accomplished his story goal about halfway through, and Cy started a new character, the kidnapped sister. Robert started Omega Pharmaceuticals. The new elements introduced were integrated very well into the story and I think made it really fun because the story evolved in a totally unexpected way.

The one flaw to our game was that the factions consistently rolled very poorly, which meant that the PCs tended to get what they wanted pretty easily, thereby depriving the game of potential drama. It also meant that we didn't tend to cut many deals with them, since we were usually in a good position. Our conclusion was that one way or another we needed to beef the factions up, perhaps by introducing a character that was sympathetic with one or the other.

Cy, Robert, feel free to chime in with your thoughts. We had a pretty good discussion about the game after we finished. If you recollect it then resurrect it!
A former member
Post #: 1
We got in a few good RP scenes, a couple with all three players. These were kind of missing the first time around, with 5 people and more focus on the mechanics.

We eventually ended up with all the PCs (and players) "on the same side." Once the CEO's story was over, we basically all hated one faction (White Hawk Mercenaries) and were willing to work with another (Omega) against it. This tied in with the low faction rolls to make things feel pretty one sided.

One thing that I noticed in retrospect, is that the PCs didn't feel like they had much agency. We were playing by the "you can't start a conflict with your own PC against a faction" rule. Since we didn't make many deals, we were had to rely on the other players to start conflict for our PCs (which we did for each other.) Most of these conflicts were nominally character-initiated, but since another player was framing the scene for what you were up too, it felt off. I think we sensed this, and tried to get a lot of feedback from the other players about how their PC would initiate the conflict.

I did like the way the bulk of our story worked out. We ended up driving most of the plot threads for the last three characters together in a satisfying way. The CEO's story ended up kind of disjoint from the others, partially due to too much success. I think a little pacing adjustment could have had his story *feel* more integrated with the others if the "main" story had developed just a little bit more.

Rules-wise, it seems like using a PCon for an auto-success is very strong. You should almost always do it, and try to make sure you can bank one or two just in case (and, conversely, try to keep the factions from getting PCons.) The difference between a tie and winning by 1 is a two point swing, and you can use your success to buy back the PCon you spent. If you would have lost by one, again you get a two point swing, and hopefully your scene goal is worth as much or more than a PCon.

The one other dynamic that came up is that we kept forgetting to a) get our Edge dice on the rare times where factions won and b) write down what happened as part of deals or during conflict scenes on the appropriate faction. I had at least one case where I got confused about who had hired or tipped off a PC.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with Remember Tomorrow. The basic dynamic of factions who can't conflict with each other directly and thus have to use the PCs as pawns is solid.
Robert
user 8558278
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
"What We Played: Hypno-Assassins Roam The Streets But We Want Out"
Or, as I like to think of it, White Hawk Down. :-)

"One thing that I noticed in retrospect, is that the PCs didn't feel like they had much agency."
That's an interesting point, Cy. Perhaps if we had had more PC to PC conflict, this would have seemed less pronounced? As it was, we were mostly dependent on other players setting the factions against the PCs

I think the game takes a bit more skill to get the right balance between interactions with the factions and with the PCs and trying to get things to tie together and paced properly, but it seems like the game has the potential to really pay off the effort.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.