addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board What We Played › What We Played: A Panther in Manhattan (Fiasco)

What We Played: A Panther in Manhattan (Fiasco)

Susan
FailToReject
Seattle, WA
Post #: 8
September 30, 2010
Players: Martin, Susan & Walter

We played a smashing game of Fiasco using one of the new playsets available on the game's website. It's the first time I've played Fiasco with only three people and it worked marvelously well. It's also the first time I've successfully played so many scene that are situated chronologically one right after the other. We set up a bunch of conflict in the first act so although the entire second act took place in one just evening it was quite an evening.

The setting was 1913 New York. Miss Ruby Valentine (Susan) and her gambling partner Miss Angeline Bright (Martin) are regulars at long-suffering Sholto (Walter) Levittz's shady restaurant in the Yegg (the LOCATION). Angeline wants to start building a more respectable reputation and intends to do it by framing a local politician for corruption (the NEED). Naturally she talks Sholto into hosting a party at his place where she'll photograph the Commissioner taking bribes. She further presses him to personally invite the aforementioned politician, whom he knew back in the old country. He tells the Commissioner there will be a big campaign contribution for him if he makes a speech to the "suffragettes meeting."

When Miss Valentine returns to town she finds her leopard (the OBJECT) has been miss-delivered and has to make up a story about her plans to shoot "A Leopard in New York" to get it out of hock. Things get hairy when Ruby shows up at Sholto's place (did I mention they were once engaged?) with the leopard in tow and actually wants to film the movie there. On the morning of the party, no less.

The restaurant is thrashed in the process of shooting "A Jaguar in Manhattan" and there's no time to get it presentable for the dinner. The kitchen catches on fire (one TILT) so as mobsters, gamblers, and politicians alike (oh and the one lone suffragette) are arriving there's no food to serve. A reporter shows up late to cover the Panther movie (the other TILT) and is promptly bumped off by an irritated mob boss (also and Ex of Ruby's).

With a body in the kitchen, a panther on the loose, and the Commissioner making a speech about cleaning up the city to a house foll of mobsters the evening deteriorates quickly. I'll leave the rest of the story to the other players if they're like to post. Suffice to say we players had a nice time despite (or maybe because?) it didn't really end well for any of our characters. Though Miss Valentine did briefly own half of an auto-mat dynasty.

Thanks for a great game guys.

There was an In A Wicked Age game at the other table that sounded quite fun - one of you guys should throw up a quick What We Played post. All I caught was that a daughter may have strangled her demon father?
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 54
The setting was 1913 New York.
I was going to ask which playset you used, and then I looked at the list on the site and was like "oh, right: 1913 New York."

Ruby gets around!
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION