addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Story Games Seattle Message Board Everything Else › Story Games Thursday: Title Requests

Story Games Thursday: Title Requests

Shuo
user 13294625
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Is it too early (maybe late?) to ask what story games folks are planning to play on Thursday? Personally, I'm up for anything and wouldn't even mind a two-session RPG. It's a bit sad to see a character you create get tossed after one night's work. Then again, I do have a lot of titles to catch up on. :)

Suggestions?
Pat
user 8415259
Seattle, WA
Post #: 6
I've got no plans to play anything specific, but I always like trying something new. Polaris and Microscope sound interesting.

I'm interested in your persistent character question as well. Most of the story games I've been exposed to have been one-off affairs (except for InSpectres-- it sounded like that could be played for multiple sessions). I'm curious how many story games support that style of play.

Honestly, the throw-away nature of the characters has been a pleasant change of pace for me. I get a kick out of role-playing characters into tragic, crash-and-burn endings.
Shuo
user 13294625
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
Since I'm still new to RPGs, I'd like to compare the experience of a short game to a long one. Well, by "long" I mean a maximum of two nights of play, if possible. I think it'll also help me learn how to pace a story more appropriately too.

Will the theme of tomorrow night be One Night Stands vs. Semi Long-Term Relationships? Is Dr. Phil coming to Story Games Seattle?? I can't wait to find out!
Fred
user 8619046
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Out of curiosity, does Spirit of the Century fall under the umbrella of story games? I was reading a bit about it and it sounded fun. I guess there is a GM, though, so it would require a little preparation.

I'm up for trying something like Polaris or Inspectres, or just observing this time while I see what they're like.

Shuo and I got Fiasco over the weekend and played it with some friends. It was a great time, and in my excitement I printed out all the monthly playsets. If anyone wants me to bring them, let me know.
Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 73
Out of curiosity, does Spirit of the Century fall under the umbrella of story games? I was reading a bit about it and it sounded fun.

It's easier to think of whether something's a story game as a spectrum rather than a yes/no. Some RPGs are very story game, some a little, and some not at all.

In Spirit of the Century, the GM prepares the adventure, and the players react to it. The players control their characters' actions, but generally don't get input into changing the world or the plot outside of their characters. All of which makes it fairly un-story game.

Which isn't to say it isn't fun. There are lots of great RPGs that aren't story games: D&D is top of the charts of non-story games.

(check out the "So, what the heck are Story Games?" thread if you haven't already)
Fred
user 8619046
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know that the players were that disconnected from the shaping of the plot.

Well, I'm still up for playing anything (or observing), and will bring the Fiasco playsets with me.

Ben R.
thatsabigrobot
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 74
Right now I'd say the three games that everyone should try are:

Shock
Polaris
Fiasco

Those are solid winners, each with fairly different styles of play. Between them you're getting a good feel for what's possible in a non-traditional game (meaning no GM, no prepared game).

So everybody put that on your to do list: if you haven't played one of them, speak up at the next meetup and demand to play!

Likewise, play each one more than once. The first time you play any game, there's a lot of teaching going on. When you come back and play the same system again, you can focus on having fun and being creative because you're already familiar with the rules.
Story Games Seattle was rebooted in March 2010 as a weekly public meetup group for playing GMless games. It ran until March 2018, hosting over 600 events with a wide range of attendees.

Our charter was: Everyone welcome. Everyone equal. No experience necessary.

DELETE SECTION